Thursday, October 22, 2015

Project Heal: Capture Your Grief: Rituals and Dreams

In an effort to ease my hurting heart this Fall, I'm participating in Project Heal: Capture Your Grief . It's a photography/storytelling project to honor the babies we've lost.

Day 22: Rituals and Dreams 

My rainbow came a year after her sister died. Their birthdays are on the same day, and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it...because the day itself isn't all happy or all sad, it's a strange mix of both.
I guess I would say one of "rituals" is to have Ella blow out the candles on both cakes. She's done this since she was 4 years old, since her sister would have been 5. It was Ella's idea, and I was hesitant at first. I had no idea how much healing this would bring...
Yes, I have a hard time baking two cakes. Yes, sometimes the tears fall while I'm decorating. But...every year, we acknowledge the fact that BOTH girls are part of our little family. Every year, we acknowledge both sisters.
As far as dreams...oh, just one.
I just want to use what I've learned to help others. To make sure no one ever feels as alone as I did on the day Riley Grace died.

No comments:

Post a Comment