Monday, August 4, 2014

Meal Plan Monday and Some Insight, Too

After I left Gram's house last night, I had a mini-breakdown. You see, this week, I'm literally supposed to be in 3 places at once. Work, Home and VBS. Did I mention I have 2 jobs? Did I mention I homeschool? And then there's my "extremely sprained" ankle.

A bit of a background on me: I am in constant competition. With myself. I have to SCHEDULE me-time. There have been times in the past few years when my husband has had to put his hands on my shoulders, look me in the eye and say "STOP. For the love of everything good and right, STOP. Calm down."

The last time I did nothing all day, I had a severe sinus infection. The time before that, it was a kidney infection 5 years ago.  Oh, and I went to work the next day in both instances.

I blame my Dad. I think I inherited his work-related insanity.

Why am I telling you this?  Not so you'll feel sorry for me....but so you'll have an insight into my insanity. I can NOT sit still. I can NOT do nothing.

I went to sleep pretty discouraged last night, because truly, how the heck am I going to do to this all?

This morning, I woke up to a kid with a runny nose and a sore throat. So, VBS is off the table. At least for today. Sometimes, God makes these choices for me. And then, I'm forced to look at the situation closer.

NOTHING IS WORTH MY SANITY. There is nothing more important than my family. They need me to be there. With them. In the moment. My most important role in this lifetime is that of a CHRISTIAN WIFE AND MOTHER.

I will go into work tonight, but only because Gabe is off and I know he and Ella will have a blast. How she feels tomorrow afternoon will dictate where, if anywhere, we will go. The rest of this week will be decided in a similar fashion.

I've lived most of my life in a competition with myself, that's true. Why did I do that? Because I've been trying to better myself, based on standards placed on me by OTHER PEOPLE. I can't do that anymore. My standard needs to be the WORD OF GOD, and nothing else should be above it.

Funny how these Meal Planning posts turn into self-reflection. If you've made it this far, kudos!

Here's what I have planned for this week

Monday: Baked Potato Bar
Tuesday: Chicken Strips, Brown Rice, and Veggies
Wednesday: Fried Potato Tacos and yellow rice
Thursday:  Souped-up Macaroni and Cheese (soupification to be announced, I'm winging it!)
Friday: Pizza, and VBS cookout, if we manage to make it to VBS this week
Saturday: Grandma's Mushroom Soup
Sunday: Chicken Spaghetti, with a rosy red-pepper sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment