Friday, October 24, 2014

Fridays with Ella: Just a Thought

A lot of you know that last week, I cut 15 inches off my hair. 15 inches is a lot.

I went from this....



...to this


The other day, Mom and I were at the store and someone told me that I "stripped away my femininity" by cutting my hair. Mom was pretty upset.

I'm not.

Here's why.

First of all, the only people whose opinion matters that much to me are Jesus, and my parents.

Second, it's really not that hard to tell that I am a girl from the way I dress. I wear a lot of skirts and dresses.

If this person thinks that I don't look feminine with short hair, what would they think of a little girl with cancer, one who has lost all of her hair during chemotherapy and is completely bald?

This is why I cut my hair. So a little girl would get some of HER femininity back. So she could go to school, or go to the store, and not have some stranger stare at her and make snide comments.

People need to be more careful with their words. Not to me. Not to my Mom. But to those with disabilities, those who are sick, those who are already down, or hurt, or upset.

I can take it. I'm tough.

There are those who are not.

Be careful what you say.

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much Ella you are the most amazing and kind hearted child I have EVER met and I could not be more proud to call you my niece!

    ReplyDelete