Friday, March 7, 2014

Random Gardening Post...

After Riley died, and I was no longer the pregnant-for-the-first time Mom, I spent a lot of time at cemeteries, in the baby section.

Not her cemetery. I honestly didn't go there until Ella was almost a year old.

Somewhere in my travels, I came across a gravestone with this quote from Dorothy Frances Gurney, only to discover the same quote in Riley's cemetery.

"The kiss of the sun for pardon,
the song of the birds for mirth--
one is nearer God's heart in a garden
than anywhere else on earth."

I love flowers. I love plants. I love watching them grow. Ella does too, which makes sense as the final months of my pregnancy with her were spent working in a Texas flower shop.

The last few weeks have been hard. From dealing with a sick cat, to REALLY feeling the distance between my Dad and me (in miles, not in family closeness) to finding out someone stole money from my family to getting sick (still recovering!), I've had enough.

I decided to do some planting and I think it really did my soul good.














I made sure to plant plenty of basil, after most of my harvest last year got eaten by cats. True story. There were at least ten of them on the property we rented last year. This year, we are a one-cat household and so my basil SHOULD be safe.

More gardening posts to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment