Thursday, January 22, 2015

Desperation in the Kitchen: Lo Mein

Have you ever wondered "What the heck am I going to do with all of this leftover fettucine?"
Because that was me this morning. I made fettucine alfredo the other day and I'm not a fan of mixing noodles and sauce together. Call it kitchen OCD (because I have kitchen OCD) or just plain craziness (because, well, I've got that too). So, after my husband was done eating, I had zero sauce left and a bunch of noodles.

And sometime, somewhere, I saw a recipe for lo mein (which I loooooove) using leftover fettucine. Trying to find it, though frustrated the everloving life of out me because 1) everything I found called for stuff I had never heard of and 2) a trip to the grocery to find stuff that I have never heard of gave me a headache and kind of made me want to cry. I take my cooking very seriously, ya'll.

I did go to the grocery and I bought the only thing that sounded good. Sun-bird beef and broccoli seasoning. Yup. And then I decided I was going to totally wing it.


So, here we go. Chicken Lo Mein



Here's what you need:


*chicken, cut into strips
*rice vinegar
*soy sauce
*worcestershire sauce
*sun-bird beef and broccoli seasoning
*water
*garlic
*various veggies (I had mushrooms, cabbage, onions and red peppers)
*leftover fettucine


Here's what you do

*make a marinade from the garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce and worcestershire sauce, and water. Cut your chicken into small pieces and throw into a ziploc bag with the marinade.


Let that mess marinate for at least an hour.


After an hour....
Warm up some olive oil. Drain most of the marinade, and dump the chicken and a bit of the marinade into your skillet. Let your chicken brown.





Chop up your various veggies.



Throw them in with the chicken, and give everything a mix to combine.


Combine your sun-bird seasoning, some worcestershire sauce, some soy sauce, some rice vinegar and water. (I don't do precise measurement so you'll have to eyeball it) . Whisk everything together and pour in the pan.


Heat through, and you are done! the sauce thickens up nicely :)

Delicious!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment