Saturday, July 25, 2015

Desperation in the Kitchen: White Pizza

Last week, Gabe had his first white pizza ever. And he loved it! And since I'm super duper cheap, and I don't want to spend a ton of money on takeout, I decided I must learn to make white pizza.



Everyone knows that a white pizza starts with a white (cream based, not tomato based) sauce. You can pretty much use any dough (I used naan bread, because it's a family favorite) and of course, mozzarella is a must (at least in my house). I didn't want to add a ton of different toppings, so I just used cheese and fresh basil (that I grew from seed, still super proud of that!)

The sauce recipe is adapted from this one and I'll definitely be making this again.

Here we go!

What you need:


*Butter (1/4 cup ought to do)
*2 shallots (or one giant one, like I used)
*4 cloves of garlic (or 2 giant ones)
*1 Tablespoon of flour
*Heavy cream, room temperature or slightly warm
*salt and pepper
*naan dough
*mozzarella cheese
*basil
*(whatever toppings you want: we used basil, cheese, and bacon bits)

Here's what you do

In a large skillet, melt the butter on LOW and add the shallots. You want the shallots to be translucent, but not brown. Take your time and keep the temperature LOW. You don't want the butter to brown.


Mince your garlic (or buy the already minced stuff in a jar, I just can't stand the smell of the garlic in oil) and add it to your shallots and butter. Stir constantly, until the garlic is soft.

Add your flour and stir it in, until it looks gravy-ish...

...then add your heavy cream, drizzling slowly and stirring constantly....

It's done and ready for use when you can make a smiley face in the sauce and it stays. Happy Sauce :)


Spread the sauce on your naan/dough/whatever.

Add your cheese and toppings. This is where Gabe told me that my pizza looked like it had a frowning face on it.

So, I had to fix it. (cough, OCD)
Bake at 400 degrees until the cheese melts. I have major problems with cheese browning in the oven. I don't like it. But you can totally bake it until the cheese is brown, whatever makes you happy.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any husbands/kids/whoever wanting to lick the skillet. Not.my.fault.

Verdict: Well, he licked the skillet....

No comments:

Post a Comment