Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Desperation in the Kitchen: Shipwreck Casserole

True desperation actually drove me to make this. I'm famously OCD, when it comes to my kitchen. In unpacking boxes at our new house, I found two cans of sliced potatoes (who the heck cans potatoes anyway?) and had no idea what to do with them. Of course, being OCD, it was not acceptable. I googled "what do I do with canned sliced potatoes?" and one of the things that came up was Shipwreck Casserole. And it called for pork and beans and tomato soup. And that kind of made me want to wreck a ship because both of those things are vile. 


So, I improvised. With cheese. Lots of it. 


Without further ado....


Shipwreck Casserole



Here's what you need


*Ground Beef, browned
*Worcestershire Sauce
*Spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder)
*Cream of mushroom soup
*Canned veggies
*Canned sliced potatoes
*Melted butter (not pictured, because I'm forgetful)
*Cheddar cheese soup
*Splash of milk
*Cheese




Here's what you do

*Preheat oven (or tabletop roaster, I don't have an oven yet!) to 375

*After browning your ground beef, dump your cream soup and veggies into the pan with it


*Throw that mess into a casserole pan.


*Rinse your canned potatoes

*Start layering potatoes on your casserole. Decide the texture of the potatoes creeps you out. Get your daughter to do the rest.


*Top with cheese soup and milk mixture. Then top with additional cheese. Bake until everything is cooked through and cheese is melted. This took about an hour in the roaster...maybe it would work different in a regular oven? P.s. pay no attention to my stove top above. The stove totally doesn't work. 

Long story short: It was "wrecktacular" as my daughter and husband said, and after they were baked, the potatoes didn't creep me out. So, it's a win in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment