Thursday, February 8, 2018

Desperation in the Kitchen: Cauliflower Kuku

Since Josie was about a month old, we've been receiving WIC benefits, and those help immensely. One of the ways we've benefited from them has been fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as eggs, dairy, beans, and baby food.  and  Another has been the magazine they put out for Kids, Chop-Chop. We get an issue every 3 months, and Ella loves them.

We found this recipe for Cauliflower Kuku, an Iranian egg dish in one of the first magazines we got. We love cauliflower and cheese and eggs and trying new things so this was an obvious to-make. I even converted my husband and boss, who both said this sounded "really weird." Boss is now looking for different variations to try, and my husband always says "yes!" when I make "that Iranian egg thing."

On Monday, I made the same dinner twice. Once for my boss, once for my family. It didn't take long, either time, and my boss even had leftovers for breakfast the next day (mainly because he doesn't have an always-hungry husband, an always-hungry 11 year old, and an a growing baby in the house). It's good hot or cold.

Cauliflower Kuku

What you need: 


*Olive Oil
*Onion
*Garlic (I used garlic powder)
*Coarsely chopped cauliflower (I used a medium size head)
*Salt, pepper, cumin
*1/4 cup of water
*parsley (but dill is also incredible) 
*3 eggs, beaten
*Shredded cheese, to your liking. I used swiss this time, but have had great success using mozzarella, cheddar, and feta.

Also, I completely forgot to photograph the eggs, so you get to see them by themselves in all their egg-y glory.

What you do: 

Before anything, preheat your oven to 400 degrees

Saute the onion in oil, until it's translucent.

add cauliflower, water, spices, and parsley. Cook down until cauliflower is soft, about 10 minutes

push the cauliflower off to one side, and add more olive oil


add eggs and cheese, and cook until set, about 4 minutes


Bake for 7-8 minutes. Top with additional cheese, if desired. Amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment