Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Desperation in the Kitchen/Bucket List Cross Off: Spaghetti Squash

Have you ever wanted to cook something but the darn thing just looked SO weird that you felt a bit intimidated?

                                                        Enter the spaghetti squash. 

I have this weird obsession with eating seasonally (because that's when stuff goes on sale, and I'm cheap, y'all) and then I got this spaghetti squash...and it sat in my kitchen for four days because I was legitimately scared of it. Scared. A grown woman scared of a vegetable.

And then I grew up and realized if I didn't do something with it, it would go to waste and being wasteful is pretty much punishable by prison time in my house.

This recipe is a mish mash of a bunch of recipes I found on Pinterest....

What you need:
*One Spaghetti Squash
*Olive Oil
* Water
*Salt, Pepper
*Some kind of Spaghetti Sauce (I made a meat sauce)

What you do:
**Preheat your oven to 400 degrees



**Slice your squash in half lengthwise. Side note: This was probably the most time consuming part of the entire ordeal. 

Creepy looking, huh?

**Scoop out the seeds. We dried and saved ours to grow in the spring. 


**Put some salt and pepper on your squash


**Poke a few holes in your squash halves and lay them face down in a bit of water in a baking dish


**I baked mine 45-50 minutes



**Shred the flesh with a fork. It looks like spaghetti! 

**Serve with meat sauce

The verdict: It was GOOD. And even my husband who has for years refused to eat anything remotely squash-like because squash traumatized him as a child...(even though I've been putting zucchini and yellow squash in EVERYTHING, sorry honey)  LOVED it. 
Definite make again. 
As a matter of fact, there is currently a squash in my kitchen staring. me. down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment