Saturday, February 1, 2014

Desperation in the Kitchen: Cheeseburger Soup

So, this soup has been on my bucket list. Things I want to make before I die. I've always, always, ALWAYS wanted to try making this.
Today, I did. In a super lazy, haphazard way because it's 50 degrees outside and I feel like I've been stuck in my house for six years.
I saw it on a bunch of sites and blogs, and finally decided to go with my own recipe.

Here's what you need
*ground beef, half a pound to one pound
*some onion (are you frustrated that I rarely measure my ingredients?)
*3/4 of a green pepper. You could use more, but it's all I had on hand and didn't want to buy more
*2 carrots, diced
*3 potatoes, cubed
*most of a container of chicken broth
*milk
*Velveeta cheese (don't judge me!)
*salt, pepper, garlic powder (my holy trinity)
*worcestershire sauce

Brown your ground beef with your onion and pepper
Spray your crockpot and toss it all in there. Cut up your carrots and potatoes and toss them in there too

Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and worcestershire sauce. I use Lea and Perrins. No, this is not an advertisement for them. I simply think that their worcestershire sauce (or "w" sauce as Ella calls it) rocks!

Add your chicken broth. We usually make our own, but I was in a hurry to get out the door and all my stock is frozen solid, so I used this.
 
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Then add your Velveeta and milk. I didn't take a picture of this step, as my phone was ringing and I was doing the laundry and about a zillion other things. Cook for another hour or so...use a potato masher to mash things down. Or a stick blender. If you want to plug something in. Which I didn't.
 

Oh, man was this ever good. Cross one off my bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment