Saturday, October 3, 2015

Project Heal: Capture Your Grief 2015: In Honour

In an effort to ease my hurting heart this fall, I am participating in Project Heal: Capture Your Grief . It's a photography/storytelling project in honor of the babies we've lost.

Day 3: In Honour



If you've been reading my blog for some time, I'm sure you've seen this picture before. Because there are no pictures, sometimes I want nothing more than to write her name. Over and over again. A few years ago, a lady took it upon herself to write Riley's name on a leaf. I loved that picture..and then I lost the picture.
Last October, I went into the woods near where I was living and I found a leaf and wrote her name on it. I sat there, knee deep in pine needles and cried. Tears of relief. Tears of grief...something. There is something about seeing her name, and knowing that I am honoring her and remembering her.
I returned to the woods later that day with a notebook full of names, and, with the help of my then 8-year old daughter, wrote down every one of those names on their own leaf. Seeing all of the leaves in front of me was staggering. So many children. So loved. So missed.
Someone once said that your loved one isn't really gone, until their name is forgotten. She will never be forgotten. I will always speak her name. I will always write her name. I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment